Shopping with a conscience has become more popular with the benefits of talking to the growers, fresher produce & a wonderful feel good shopping atmosphere.
Farmers Markets are growing in both the number of markets available & people going to them for their grocery shop. I have been shopping at Farmers Markets since 2005, and it has been very interesting watching the changes over the years – all for the positive.
Why go to a Farmers Market?
- Fresh food that generally tastes better, and stays fresher longer
- Food that is in season
- Tips from the grower (cooking, storing, when best eaten)
- Great community atmosphere
- Varies the “shopping rut” of buying & cooking the same foods every week (this helps you gain a variety of different nutrients in your diet)
Where are your local Farmers Markets?
There’s a whole list to choose from here.
What do you need to bring?
- Cash! (some markets have an ATM, and some stall holders accept cards)
- A trolley of some description is very helpful
- Shopping bags
What can you buy there?
Each Farmers Market has a different variety of stalls but you can usually find:
- Fresh vegetables
- Fresh fruit
- Meat (beef, chicken, lamb, venison)
- Fish (some Markets have fresh fish, fresh mussels, smoked salmon & trout)
- Herbs & Spices
- Pastries & Bread
- Nuts & Dried Fruit
- Pastas & Sauces
- Jams & Sauces
- Food to eat there- Breakfast/lunch/snacks & of course great coffee!!
Want to read more?
Check out a great article “Buy direct and the food is fresher, the prices better, and the farmers happier”
Can’t seem to get to a Farmers market, don’t worry there’s quite a few online delivery services now too.
See you at the Market!!